Thursday, September 02, 2010

Nick Evans: The Bone Collector



Although he’s been a practising artist since leaving Glasgow School of Art in 2000 with a degree in Sculpture and Environmental Art, Nick Evans traces the beginning of his current mode of practice back to 2006, when he completed an eight-month residency at the Tate Gallery in St Ives. ‘While I was there I saw a series of plaster works by Barbara Hepworth,’ says the Zambia-born, Somerset-raised sculptor. ‘They weren’t on display to the public, they were stored in her old studio space at the Palais de Danse, lined up on the dancefloor. I think when I started work on these pieces, which are all made of plaster too, I wasn’t even conscious of the connection, but the closer I get to it the more I think about it.’.................LIST

No comments: